Heritage Foundation Board Member Resigns Over Defense of Tucker Carlson

Another member of the conservative Heritage Foundation has resigned following a video posted by the organization’s president defending Tucker Carlson’s interview with Holocaust denier Nick Fuentes.

Robert P. George said he and the foundation’s president were at an “impasse.” In a post to Facebook, board member Robert P. George said he can no longer remain part of the foundation without a “full retraction” of the video released last month by the organization’s president, Kevin Roberts.

“Although Kevin publicly apologized for some of what he said in the video, he could not offer a full retraction of its content. So, we reached an impasse,” George said.

Carlson’s interview with Fuentes — who has previously expressed admiration for Adolf Hitler — received widespread condemnation for antisemitism, and the aftermath has exposed fault lines among conservatives.

In his Oct. 30 video, Roberts denounced the “venomous coalition” criticizing both Fuentes and Carlson, adding that Carlson is a “close friend.” He said that though he disagrees with and even “abhors” things Fuentes said, he did not believe in “canceling” him or Carlson. On Sunday, President Donald Trump also defended Carlson, telling reporters “you can’t tell him who to interview.”

Fuentes, a well-known provocateur on the right, has previously said that “organized Jewry” is leading to the disappearance of white culture.

Roberts later said he “didn’t know much about this Fuentes guy,” and that his video script was written by an aide who has since resigned.

George on Monday said that Roberts is a “good man” who acknowledged a “serious mistake.”

“What divided us was a difference of opinion about what was required to rectify the mistake,” George added.

A spokesman for the Heritage Foundation confirmed George’s resignation in a statement to POLITICO, thanking him for his service and calling him a